In order to participate in experiments at the Behavioral Experimental Sciences Laboratory (BESLAB), you must register in our database using the lab's online recruitment system. Part of this registration process involves acknowledging the following basic rules of conduct:
- You can only register once in the ORSEE database. Registering multiple accounts undermines our scientific research. Any participant found with more than one profile will be excluded from all future studies.
- Participation in our experiments is not restricted to Pompeu Fabra's students, but other participants (students and non-students) are also invited to register.
- A certain number of registered persons will receive an invitation email to each experiment. The exact number is determined by the researcher conducting that experiment. Only the invited persons may take part in that experiment.
- If you receive an invitation email, you must respond affirmatively in order to participate. Spaces in an experiment are limited, so it is important to respond early to better ensure that a space will still be available. Important Note: Once you respond affirmatively, you cannot later withdraw this response from the recruitment system, so please verify that you are actually able to come before you respond.
- Usually, some extra persons are invited to ensure that a minimum participation level is achieved. Alternates will receive compensation for arriving for the experiment on time. The exact amount of this payment is determined by the researcher conducting that particular experiment, and will be described in the invitation email.
- Participants will usually be compensated based on the decisions they make during the experiment. The exact amount of this payment is determined by the researcher conducting that particular experiment, and will be described in the invitation email.
- Important Note: After the scheduled start time, anyone who responded affirmatively to an invitation but did not show up will not receive any compensation for that experiment. In addition, he or she will be charged with a "no-show penalty." After a person receives 2 no-show penalties, he or she will be permanently removed from the database, and will be ineligible for any further experiments.
- During an experiment, Participants must follow the directives of the researchers. The researchers will identify themselves before the commencement of the experiment.